This week one of the most profound characters in DC Comics is to be celebrated; no other than the Dark Knight himself. The reason for ‘Batman Day’ is to celebrate his first appearance, in May 1939, within the Detectives Comic (issue 27) titled “The Case of the Chemical Syndicate”. Batman holds the number one spot as not only my all time favourite superhero, but that of thousands of other die hard fans across the world.
1) Relatable Character- At a young age Bruce Wayne, who is the secret identity of Batman, lost both of his beloved parents. They were brutally murdered by a mugger called Joe Chill. Can you imagine this happening to you? The people who brought you into this world being killed right in front of your eyes. This piercing grief led to Bruce Wayne swearing revenge against his parents murderer ever since. Out of this dark sorrow emerged the shady character of Batman. The wealthy fortune his parents had left behind teamed together with his physical and intellectual abilities powered by the motive to fight crime at large in Gotham City, makes him a very powerful character. This is despite him not inherently possessing any superpowers. Batman is a superhero many of us can relate too as he shows that out of suffering emerges the greatest of things. Most significantly, underneath his powerful physique that is covered in a bat costume; lies the heart of a young boy yearning for the justice of his parents death.
2) Greatest Villain- A good comic is incomplete without the superhero winning a fight against villains and rest assured Batman has some of the greatest enemies. The most popular and favourite in Gotham City is Batman’s arch-nemesis, The Joker, who is a sadistic and evil yet ingenious criminal mastermind under his clown-like face. The Joker’s origin and past remain confusing as he himself has stated “Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another… if I’m going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice! HA HA HA!”. Let’s not forget his twisted, abusive and unhealthy relationship with Harley Quinn that further highlights his supervillain characteristics. May we just take a moment to commemorate the late Heath Ledger, who was highly praised for his chilling performance of The Joker with his infamous “Why so serious?” quote.
3) Coolest car- The modernised Batmobile has to be one of the most recognisable fictional cars with powerful weaponry and a sleek exterior to match. Its appearance has evolved over the years and it just seems to get better looking. I’m sure many of us fans secretly wish we owned one ourselves (well, one can dream).
4) Best Movie- I personally believe that “The Dark Knight Rises” is hands down one of the most exciting, energetic and action packed superhero movies till date. As mentioned above, the magnificent acting by Heath Ledger of The Joker and the tragic history that unfolds of our beloved Batman makes the viewer feel a rollercoaster of emotions. Don’t just take my word for it, there are numerous websites with positive reviews and the movie “The Dark Knight Rises” topped $1 Billion worldwide. Rather impressive.
5) Favourite Superhero– Unlike many other superheroes, Batman was not born with superpowers or flying abilities but defeats villains with his intellect, an attractive physique and superhuman detective skills. The fact he leads a life of hidden identity to protect the people of his city shows that he is a saviour and relied upon by many for support. He cares for others and that is what we love about him.
So there you have it, five reasons as to why Batman is simply the best. Happy Batman Day (everyday!)